Modern Image Railway Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives

Go down

Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives Empty Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives

Post  Clive Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 pm

With the recent Heljan announcement of the introduction of a Baby Deltic model is it worth modelling either by scratchbuilding or kit building any diesel classes. A recent thread on another forum asked a similar question but was aimed more at what classes were left to model.

Yes it is apart form the fun of building your own stuff there are well of 50 classes of shunter and DMU from the modernisation that have as yet not been made. In reading the mentioned thread most of these if not all have not even managed to hit the wishlisters radar let alone the manufacturers. Suspect

In fact the thread has disintergrated into a wishlist of what people want to see updated....more detailed underframe for a class 25 was suggested my a moderator. I am misstified as to why a more detailed undergubbins on most models seems to be needed. At normal viewing most of the underframe is out of sight and what remains is normally in a shaddow. Rolling Eyes

Do you think I can get away with renumbering a Heljan one D5910?
Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives 06111
Clive
Clive
Admin

https://mirm.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives Empty Re: Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives

Post  Clive Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 am

I have been thinking about is it worth scratch building, of course it is.

Is it worth scratch or kit building diesel locomotives 31ssmall
This photo shows 17 Brush type 2s, a mixture of Tri-ang, Airfix, Lima and one scratchbuilt. Why did I make it, it is no better than the RTR ones. It was fun to make, and more importantly there is that sense of achivement one cannot get from opening a box....dispite how complicated Hornby try to make this task.
Clive
Clive
Admin

https://mirm.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down